Thursday, December 11, 2008

Advent-ures of Christmas

This is David's article from our church newsletter this week . . . thought it was fitting to share.

"Following the church calendar, we find ourselves right now in the midst of Advent. Advent means "coming" and it's the time in the church year to celebrate the coming of the Lord. The idea is that we eagerly wait for him to come. We anticipate his birth. And though a lot of people don't celebrate advent, it is a great way to teach the true meaning of Christmas. It allows us to focus on the Lord and not be distracted by everything else our culture wants for us.

This became all the more real to me this year. Last year my sister bought an advent calendar for us. She had one for her boys and thought is was a great teaching tool. This calendar has a little compartment for each day of December marked with numbers corresponding to the days of the month, from 1 to 25. Each day, Jackson gets to open a little door and pull out a magnet and place it on the metal painting of the stable. There are stars, sheep, wise men, camels, Mary, Joseph, you get the idea. We just make sure to put the baby Jesus in #25. When he pulls out an animal or a star, it gives me the chance to ask him why that piece is there and teach about the story. It has been an amazing first week!

But something unexpected has happened. Jackson is reacting to it in a way that is both familiar and unknown. When it's time to open a new door, his excitement billows out every pore of his being. There is wonder in his eyes and you can almost see the sponge taking it all in. But then, he throws a fit. He does this fairly often at this point in his life, but this one I can handle. I don't mind it so much. He wants to open a new door, to reveal another part of the story, to place another magnet on the manger, but we have to wait for tomorrow. He may understand advent more than I do at this point. I have learned to be patient and wait. Maybe I should be a little more eager. Maybe I should have more anticipation for Jesus and for Christmas.

So here, in this article, I throw my fit. I can't wait for the Lord to come! I want it to be now! For all the right reasons. There, I feel better.

Dave Jarrett, Creative Arts Minister"

4 comments:

Jen said...

Joel is teaching on the Advent in Sunday School this month....he may want to use your "story" if that's ok!

Jarretts said...

He is certainly welcome to use it : )

Jessica said...

this is a great article! do you know where she got the advent calendar? i've never seen one like this before with the magnets...such a great idea!

Jarretts said...

Jessica, I'm not sure, but I can ask. I'm guessing maybe CBD.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers