Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Jackson: Kindergarten Shots

After watching Kayleigh get her 1 year shots in January, Jackson informed me that he would NOT be going to Kindergarten (prior to this he was very excited about going). I told him he would miss out on learning so many things . . . his response, "I don't need to go to Kindergarten, I'm learning a LOT in preschool!!" After that, he has woken up in the night a couple times crying about having to get shots and just being very anxious about it. So I called the health department and got him scheduled for them, so we could put the anxiety behind us!! And my biggest motivation was to get them done before his Kindergarten screening in March, or I was afraid he would politely tell his teacher that he did not need Kindergarten and wouldn't answer her questions. So yesterday was the day, we didn't tell him what he was doing, I dropped him off with Dave and he took him over lunch (I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to sufficiently restrain him.)

We are happy to report that Jackson survived his kindergarten shots!! After he screamed through the 1st one, he calmed down for the other 2 and afterward said, "I thought it would hurt like when I skin my knee on my bike, but it was more like a mosquito bite!" And a red dilly bar from DQ after sure helped too : ) Glad it is over so we can be excited about kindergarten again!!








Dave wrote: "I love how Jackson expresses himself by drawing pictures. He got his kindergarten shots today and was very scared. I had to help hold him and he did pretty good once the first shot was in. When we got home he drew this picture of a tooth and a needle. The dot next to his smiley face is the place where he got his shot. He made sure t point out that the tooth was smiling." We think he chose a tooth to draw because he got a toothbrush in a little take home bag after he got his shots!

The yellow sign was posted on his door yesterday morning before he left for the shots . . . it really has nothing to do with his shots, except that I wanted to remember how good he is getting at sounding things out to write down a short sentence or make a list. Let me translate, "Don't come in, air plane is going to take off!"

1 comment:

Jessica said...

YAY Jackson!!! :)

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers